This is the third article in the on-going series of features evaluating the Rivals.com five-star recruits over the last five years...
The college football recruiting recruiting class of 2008 may go down as one of the best in recent time.
Unless of course you are a Miami Hurricanes fan.
Many of the National experts determined that in 2008 the University of Miami was to have landed the #1 recruiting class. But in the end it was simply not to be for various reasons and issues.
That was due to players like five-star DL Marcus Forston (seen above with OcalaCane and his wife) who's career was plagued by injury and five-star LB Aurthur Brown (seen below with Cat5 Cane) who could never break into the starting lineup and would later transfer to Kansas State.
What had looked so promising and good coming in to Coral Gables on National Signing Day in 2008 did not appear as successful or productive coming out on 2011. So goes the the game of love and war known as college football recruiting.
According to Rivals.com there were 30 five star players in the class of 2008. At least 10 of them would go on to be major impact players. Two of them were Hurricanes (DT Forston, LB Brown).
Yet both five star recruits for UM in 2008 were soon to be surpassed by another lesser-known and lower ranked player named Sean Spence (seen below with Aldarius Johnson, Brandon Harris and Blake Ayles).
Here are the 2008 five star impact players by rank, school and performance:
Rivals Class of 2008 Five Star Player Quick Facts:
- Total Players: 30
- Number of Impact players: 10
- Percentage of Impact Players: 30%
- Number of Players Who Transferred: 5
- Number of Injured Players: 5
The 10 impact players and their rankings from the 2008 class were:
- (1) QB; Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
- (2) DE DeQuan Bowers, Clemson
- (4) WR Julio Jones, Alabama
- (5) CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
- (9) WR A.J Green, Georgia
- (11) OL Matt Kalil, USC
- (14) QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
- (15) OL Tyron Smith, USC
- (26) WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pitt
- (27) WR Michael Floyd, ND
The 5 players who transferred from their original LOI to another school:
- (6) RB Darrell Scott (from Colorado to USF)
- (19) RB Jermie Calhoun (from Oklahoma to FCS school Angelo State)
- (23) LB Authur Brown (From Miami to Kansas State)
- (25) QB Dayne Christ (Notre Dame to Kansas)
- (28) ATH Burton Scott (Alabama to South Alabama)
The 5 players who were impacted by major injuries:
- DT Marcus Forston, Miami
- OL Matt Patchan, Florida
- WR Deandre Brown, Southern Miss
- ATH Richard Samuel, Georgia
- OL Tyler Love, Alabama
In summary the 2008 class was above average in terms of impact players (10). The class was also average in the number of transfers (5) and in players who were impacted by major injury (5).