I WAS RIGHT. OGV WAS WRONG.
MIAMI (3-1, 2-0 ACC) 42, GEORGIA TECH (2-2, 1-2 ACC) 36
BOBBY DODD STADIUM • ATLANTA, GA.
SEPT. 22, 2012 • ATTENDANCE: 50,390
• Today’s Captains: RB Mike James, QB Stephen Morris, CB Brandon McGee and DE Shayon Green
• Weather at Kickoff: 85 degrees, sunny. Wind from the W at 11 mph. 43 percent humidity.
• Miami’s third play from scrimmage was a 65-yard TD pass from QB Stephen Morris to WR Phillip Dorsett. It was the longest play from scrimmage of UM on the season.
• For the fi rst time this season, the Hurricanes scored the fi rst points of the game. Miami opponents had scored fi rst in the prior three games.
• RB Mike James’ 1-yard TD run to end the fi rst quarter was the fi rst rushing TD allowed by Georgia Tech on the season.
• Miami was credited with safety in the fi rst quarter. It was the fi rst safety for the Canes since Sept. 17, 2009 when Georgia Tech’s Chandler Anderson kicked an errant snap through the back of the end zone.
• The Canes led 19-0 after the first quarter - the biggest lead after the opening period since leading Charleston Southern, 21-0, on Aug. 28, 2008. It was the largest margin over an ACC opponent after one since going up 21-0 over Wake Forest, 21-0, on Nov. 20, 2004.
• Jake Wieclaw’s third quarter 23-yard FG was the first score allowed by the GT defense in either the second or third quarter this season.
• Miami’s 17-play third quarter drive was the longest of the season for the Canes. It was also the longest drive of any ACC team this season.
• The Canes recorded nine tackles for loss in the game.
• Miami has now won its last four meetings against Georgia Tech.
• It was the fi rst overtime win for the Hurricanes since defeating Virginia, 24-17, in Charlottesville on Nov. 1, 2008.
• Miami had 609 yards of total offense, the fi rst time reaching 600 since racking up 629 against McNeese State in 2000.
• Today’s Defensive Starters: DE Anthony Chickillo, DT Darius Smith, DT Olsen Pierre, DE Shayon Green, LB Eddie Johnson, LB Jimmy Gaines, LB Tyrone Cornileus, CB Brandon McGee, S A.J. Highsmith, S Deon Bush and CB Thomas Finnie.
• Today’s Offensive Starters: TE Clive Walford, LT Malcolm Bunch, LG Jon Feliciano, C Shane McDermott, RG Brandon Linder, RT Ereck Flowers, TE Dyron Dye, FB Maurice Hagens, QB Stephen Morris, RB Mike James, WR Phillip Dorsett.
• WR Phillip Dorsett was the recipient of a 65-yard pass for a TD on Miami’s third play from scrimmage. The reception was the longest of Dorsett’s career. At games’ end, Dorsett set a new career high with 184 yards - the seventh-most in a single game in program history.
• After making his first collegiate appearance on a kick-off against Bethune-Cookman, redshirt freshman Matt Goudis made his first appearance as a punter. Goudis replaced Dalton Botts who was injured in the second quarter.
• Junior QB Stephen Morris set a new career-high in passing yards, 436. It was the fi rst time a UM quarterback had throw for over 400 yards since Ken Dorsey had 422 at West Virginia in 2002. The 436 passing yards for Morris is the fifth-most in program history.
• Sophomore DE Anthony Chickillo recorded career-highs with seven solo tackles and three tackles for loss on the day.
• Senior RB Mike James scored a career-high four touchdown in the game (three rushing, one receiving). James also set new career-highs with 89 rushing yards for the game and 15 carries. He now has 14 rushing touchdowns and three receiving scores in his career.
I WAS RIGHT. OGV WAS WRONG.