There will always be those people who see the glass as half full and those who see it as half empty.
Then of course there are University of Miami football fans, some of whom apparently can't see anything, much less a glass or its contents.
We thought that with the 2013 college football regular season in the books that we would do a little research to dig up some positive nuggets of truth about the UM football program in the three years under Al Golden. And, with some very generous help from our friend Chris Yandle at UM we found plenty!
What we found was some pretty amazing stuff by any standards. In fact, we think that the following statistics will surprise even those Hurricane fans that tend to have a more positive mind set.
So here is the good news for UM fans as we once again go "By The Numbers":
Golden Getting It Done:
In the first 22 games under Al Golden Miami's record was: 11-11
In the last 14 games under Golden the Hurricanes have improved to: 11-3
In 2012, allowed 30.5 points, 217.9 rush ypg, 268.9 pass ypg, 486.8 total offense
In 2013, allowed 26.0 points, 182.3 rush, 233.4 pass, 415.8 total offense
2011: 10 players recorded takeaway
2012: 13 players recorded takeaway
2013: 15 players recorded takeaway
Total Offense (improved +69.0 yards / game)
Rushing (improved +24.8 yards / game and 6 TD)
2011: 1,748 yards, 18 TD (147.7 / game)
2012: 1,737 yards, 19 TD (144.8 / game)
2013: 2,070 yards, 24 TD (172.5 / game)
Takeaways (improved + 12)
2011: 15 takeaways (6 INT, 9 FUM)
2012: 22 takeaways (11 INT, 11 FUM)
2013: 27 takeaways (18 INT, 9 FUM)
Turnover Margin (improved + 10)
Sacks Have Decreased (sacks allowed diminished by 6 since first year)
2011: 24 (allowed 19)
2012: 13 (allowed 18)
2013: 28 (allowed 13)
During the 2013 season YOUR Miami Hurricanes:
- Allowed fewest sacks in ACC (13)
- Stacy Coley was the only FBS player this season with rush TD, receive TD, punt return TD and kick return TD
- Pat O’Donnell’s 47.3 yard punting average – HIGHEST IN SCHOOL HISTORY
- Allen Hurns needs 19 yards to break single-season receiving record for yards
- Allen Hurns needs 133 yards to become 7th 2,000-yard career receiver in school history
- Stephen Morris needs 132 yards to become 2nd QB in school history with multiple 3,000-yard seasons
- Ranked in Golden era for first time
- Highest rankings since 2005
Now if those statistics do not get you excited for these players, this coach and the direction this team is going then I do not know what will.
Is there still some room for some improvement? Sure.
Is the team headed in the right direction under Al Golden's leadership? U bet!