The No. 12 University of Miami women’s tennis team swept No. 18 Oklahoma 4-0 in the NCAA Second Round to advance to its ninth consecutive Sweet 16 on Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables.
“I think that good things happen to good people,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “These seven girls are really hard workers, super mature, have bought into the system and deserve what they earned today.”
Miami (21-5) didn’t get off to a strong start in doubles, but used a comeback win from Lina Lileikite and Stephanie Wagner and gutted out a win at two doubles to take a 1-0 lead in the match. After taking the doubles point in thrilling fashion, the Hurricanes capitalized on the momentum and quickly and soundly put away the Sooners in singles.
For the second day in a row, No. 90 Liliekite was the first to put Miami on the board, with her 6-0, 6-1 win against Chumney. Lileikite rolled to a 6-0 first set win and after dropping the first game of the second set, the junior won six more in a row to give Miami a 2-0 lead.
Albuquerque was next to complete her match, where she defeated Emma Devine in straight sets 6-0, 6-3 for her 18th consecutive win.
With a 3-0 lead on the scoreboard, Riobueno defeated Oklahoma’s Brhane 6-0, 6-3, clinching Miami’s ninth-straight trip to the Sweet 16.
Miami now advances to the national tournament in Athens, Ga., where each of the 16 regional winners will compete for the national championship May 15-20. The Hurricanes are slated to play UCLA or Ole Miss at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
1. #29 Stephanie Wagner (UM) vs. #68 Whitney Ritchie (OU) 7-6, 1-2, unfinished
2. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Hermon Brhane (OU) 6-0, 6-3
3. #90 Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Melissa Bolivar (UM) vs. Mia Lancaster (OU) 0-6, 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
5. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Emma Devine (OU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Brittany Dubins (UM) vs. Abbi Melrose (OU) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
1. Chumney/Ritchie (OU) def. #8 Albuquerque/Riobueno (UM) 8-5
2. Bolivar/Dubins (UM) def. Brhane/Wofford (OU) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Lileikite/Wagner (UM) def. Lancaster/Engbroks (OU) 8-5