Sheldon McClellan scored 16 points and Miami beat Virginia Tech 59-49 on Wednesday night in the second round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.
Davon Reed added 10 points and hit an important 3-pointer with about 5 minutes left that helped the sixth-seeded Hurricanes (21-11) avoid a loss that would have been catastrophic to their NCAA tournament hopes.
The Hurricanes will face No. 11 Notre Dame (26-5), the tournament's third seed, in the quarterfinals Thursday.
Adam Smith and Ahmed Hill each scored 10 points for the 14th-seeded Hokies (11-22), who gave the Hurricanes all they could handle. Miami - which twice this season beat Virginia Tech by at least 21 points - never led by double figures until the final minute.
* With the win over Virginia Tech, Miami collected its 21st win on the year and its third win over the Hokies this season.
* With the win, the Hurricanes will face No. 3 seed Notre Dame Thursday night at 9 p.m.
* Miami’s win over Virginia Tech improved the Hurricanes record to 12-9 all-time in the ACC Tournament.
* Miami opened the game with Tonye Jekiri, James Palmer, Sheldon McClellan, Davon Reed and Manu Lecomte.
* Miami is 2-0 with this starting five.
* This is the second time this season Miami has started a game with these five players.
* This is just the fourth game this season in which Angel Rodriguez did not start.
* The Hurricanes committed just 8 turnovers on the night. Miami improved to 18-11 when committing 15-or-less turnovers.
* Miami held a 33-26 rebounding advantage. The Hurricanes improved to 13-1 this season when outrebounding their opponent.
* Junior center Tonye Jekiri scored the Hurricanes’ first basket at the 18:59 of the first half.
* Miami led at the half 25-19. The Hurricanes improved to 12-3 when leading at the half this season.