Fire up the grill and grab your beer and brats because tonight at 8 PM on ESPN2 your Miami Hurricanes (50-12) will face the Arizona Wildcats (44-21) in game 1 of the 2016 College World Series at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
For you hard core baseball fans click here for more info and stats on the 2016 CWS teams: http://hurricanesports.com/pdf9/4886106.pdf?&DB_OEM_ID=28700
Here are some basic facts from www.hurricanesports.com about the Canes:
BACK HOME IN OMAHA
• The Hurricanes’ 25 trips to Omaha are the second-most of any program nationwide (Texas - 35), while their four national championships (1982, 1985, 1999, 2001) are tied for fifth-most.
• Miami has an all-time record of 48-40 (.545) in the College World Series, with its 48 wins and 88 total games played both ranking fourth-most in CWS history.
• Miami has qualified for the College World Series 13 times in head coach Jim Morris’ 23-year tenure at the helm; UM made it to Omaha 12 times in Hall of Fame coach Ron Fraser’s 30 seasons.
• With its best-of-three series victory, the Hurricanes improved to 18-11 all-time in the NCAA Super Regional round, including a 14-2 record at Mark Light Field in Super Regional games.
• UM batted .375 with six homers & 24 runs scored in three games.
• Miami has never missed the College World Series when named a national seed, having made the field of eight in 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2015 and 2016.
SEVEN HURRICANES SELECTED IN MLB DRAFT
• Zack Collins (first round, Chicago White Sox), Willie Abreu (sixth round, Colorado), Bryan Garcia (sixth round, Detroit), Brandon Lopez (10th round, Minnesota), Danny Garcia (15th round, Seattle), Jacob Heyward (18th round, San Franciso) and Johnny Ruiz (28th round, Houston) were all drafted from June 9-11.
• Collins became UM’s first first-rounder since Yasmani Grandal was drafted No. 12 overall by Cincinnati in 2010.