This article was contributed by long-time Canespace blogger Hassan...
I want to ask about UM QB Brad Kaaya. Many of our fans tend to bash him.
I am not one of those.
He may not be Tom Brady back there but he is a good QB and he could lead us to a title if he had the right team around him. I do believe he has improved since he has been here although his stats are inconsistent. I believe one more year shaping his body and working on his footwork and other small things he will make more improvement.
Here is my general assessment of Kaaya's strengths:
- Protects The Ball: I think Kaaya's best attribute is he does not turn over the ball. Analyze his INT's and over his career they are low and close to half of those were not on him. I think with the QB position you start and end with protecting the ball.
- Accuracy: I would say his next strength is his accuracy. In my opinion his accuracy is very good.
- Arm Strength: I would say it is very good on the college level and avg on the NFL level. I think he has room to improve that a bit as well, he is only 215 and should be able to add size and strength and get more velocity on his throws with improved footwork.
Now for Kaaya's weaknesses:
- Stare Down: The worst past of his game is locking onto one receiver. He needs to look off defenders much better.
- Pocket Presence: He needs to let the clock tick faster in the pocket. He takes too many sacks holding the ball. To his credit he does not throw picks. I'd rather him take a sack then throw a pick but still.
Kaaya is no perfect QB but he is definitely one of the best in his class and in the Country in my opinion. I think if he does come back it will be great for him and the team. He needs to add 10-15 lbs of muscle and another year in the system he should become a master of the offense and show improvement next year.
I also think one more year with Kaaya would really give Allison, Perry and Cade a year needed to develop their bodies and get used to the speed of the college game. Tell me what you think?