High expectations can lead to unrealized goals which often causes frustration and disappointment. Low expectations are often exceeded which leads to an increased sense of optimism and well being.
So it appears that the key to happiness is to simply lower your expectations, right? To simply just wake up, breathe some fresh air and be able to see one more beautiful sunrise should make you just as happy as you can be!
A small minority of Miami Hurricane football fans appear to have given up their hopes and dreams of ever fielding a National Championship team again.
It seems clear now that they have lowered their expectations to the point where winning nine games, losing to basketball schools like Duke and getting blown out by Louisville in a meaningless bowl game in some dank, old stadium somewhere in Orlando is just fine with them.
Oh, and forget about even having a chance to beat FSU. That is just crazy!
In fact, the fans with these low expectations not only fully expect and accept it to lose 3 or 4 games a season, they embrace and defend it with great passion. They are proud, progressive, modern thinking, current day college football fans. They are the new U who don't even know "The U".
These fans have set their expectations so low that it is basically impossible to be disappointed. What makes it so completely confusing to many is that they appear to be perfectly happy in their new found "safe zone".
Trust me, there is no coach, player or any real fan of any team that plans, predicts or wants to lose any game. However, after much thought and deliberation, I have decided to completely ignore them and join the "low expectation" crowd with great reluctance and trepidation.
So, I thought I would share my new "low expectation" goals for 2014:
- If Miami wins one game, any game,by one point, I will be happy.
- If at least some people show up for home games I will be happy.
- If Miami scores less than 10 points a game I will still be happy.
- If UM allows over 30 points a game I will also be happy.
- If Miami allows 500 yards a game on defense I will be happy.
- If the UM goes three-and-out on every possession I will be happy.
- If the sun shines during football games I will be hot and happy.
- If it rains like crazy during football games I will be wet and happy.
- In fact, I have decided that I will just be happy to be happy.
There, I feel so much better now. In fact, I am going to start a support group for people with low expectations. I think we will start all of our meetings by introducing ourselves like this:
"Hi, my name is ______________ I have low expectations and I feel happy!